The Cars
Type: Kwik, Year: 1938, Built: 1 piece

KwikForerunner of the postwar Gatford and Gatso sportscar. Two-seater, with luxurious red Connolly leather interior. Detachable fabric top. Bodywork custom-built to Maurice Gatsonides' requirements by Schutter & Van Bakel, Amsterdam.
Built on the first Ford Mercury chassis imported into Holland, and therefore featured the enlarged, 3.9 litre 95 b.h.p. V8 engine fitted with high-compression aluminium cylinderheads and two double barrel carburettors. 
The engine was exclusive to the Mercury line, rather than the regular 3.6 litre 85 b.h.p. Ford V8. 
With only the "Kwik" (the Dutch word for "mercury") legend on the body being visible here it is the typical Ford-pattern road wheels which give a clue to the car's mechanical specification. 

Making its debut in the Prize of Zandvoort 1939 with number 38, a cylinderhead-gasket problem and engine damage from the resultant overheating caused Gatsonides to pull out of the race before the end. 

Contested the Liège-Rome- Liège Rally in 1939 with number 28. Team : Maurice Gatsonides - Lex Beels. Finished in 14th place. 

Early 1940 Kwik collided with a truck and a streetcar (tram) in the Dutch village of Lisse. 
Repaired, it was sold soon afterwards, and has subsequently disappeared......

At the end of 2003 Tom Gatsonides, the son of Maurice, became the new proud owner of "Kwik". The car was a present from the staff of Gatsometer BV the company Maurice started in the late 50's.
Contested the Winter Trial in februari 2005 with number 10. Team : Tom Gatsonides - Rosalie Gatsonides. 

Type: Gatford (Gatsonides-Ford), Year: 1946, Built: 1 piece

Gatford (Gatsonides-Ford)Built on the chassis of the Ford V8 Roadster in which Maurice Gatsonides and Klaas Barendregt had completed the 1938 Liège-Rome- Liège Rally in 2nd position overall and winner of the unmodified category. The chassis was suitably modified to reduce height. 
The standard Roadster's 3.6 litre V8 S.V. engine was retained at first, but replaced by the larger Ford Mercury 4 litre V8 soon after completion. The same type used in subsequent Gatsonides-built cars. For the Gatford the Mercury engine's power output was raised from the normal 95 b.h.p. to a figure of 124. This was achieved principally by using a pair of American tuning expert Eddy Edmunds' dual carburettors manifold and ribbed aluminium cylinder heads. Of more efficient design, these raised the compression ratio from the normal 6.8 : 1 to 7.5 : 1. 
Transmitting the power to the rear wheels was the old Ford Roadster's normal three-speed gearbox and a Columbia two-speed rear-axle assembly. Thus, the Gatford had the benefit of six forward speeds. Overall the Gatford could be considered as a Gatso modified Ford. 
Perhaps the most striking feature however was the third head-light placed centrally above the radiator grille. This had come about due to the need for an extremely low bonnet line at the front of the car, whilst further back needing to clear the carburettors mounted in the V of the V8 engine.

Finished in second place overall on the first postwar staging of the Alpine Rally, July 1946. Team : Maurice Gatsonides - Henk Blijdenstein. 
Finished in third place in the Lisbon Rally 1947. Team : Maurice Gatsonides - Theo van Ellinkhuizen. 
Finished first on the first, postwar, Dutch sportscar race at the Leeuwarden air force base, July 1947. Driver : Maurice Gatsonides. 

This car was the only one to carry the "Gatford" name script, as the Ford Motor Company felt it sounded too much like "Matford" (the abbreviation of Mathis-Ford), which was Ford's brandname in France. Consequently the remainder of the Heemstede-produced cars bore the name "Gatso" which was of course every bit as appropriate, although, ironically, those later cars were actually built on genuine but lowered Matford "13" (Ford France) chassis with 4" shorter wheelbase than the American one.



The GATFORD is a fast, comfortable and above all a reliable Sportscar, designed to be driven for a long time at high average speeds.
By means of a dual ratio back axle the revolutions of the engine can be kept quite low, which improves its durability considerably while a low petrol consumption is obtained.
The car itself is chiefly built from Ford parts, which are obtainable everywhere at reasonable cost.
The very light body is built of duraluminium attached to a rigid steel frame. As a result of years of experience gained in all kinds of international competitions, a very good roadholding has been obtained, coupled with remarkable good steering.
The driving qualities are only equalled by those of a few high priced European cars.


Engine : 120 b.h.p. at 4000 r.p.m. V8 monobloc. Side valves. Aluminium high-compression heads with polished combustion chambers. Two down-draught twin-choke carburettors. Special intake manifold, highly polished. Steel backed main and connecting rod bearings. Full flow oil filter and cooler. Special design camshaft. Bore and stroke 3.187 x 3.75 ins (80.95 x 95.25 mm). Cubic capacity : 239 cub. ins (3917 cc). 
V8, O.H.V. engine of 175 b.h.p. at 5200 r.p.m. available at extra cost.
Cooling system : Pressure radiator. Two waterpumps and a crankshaft-mounted fan.
Ignition : Scintilla Vertex magneto. Lodge H.N.P. 14 mm. plugs.
Clutch : Single dry plate.
Gear ratios : top 1 : 1 synchromesh  
  second 1.8 : 1 synchromesh  
  first 3.2 : 1    
  reverse 4.0 : 1    
Remote control central gear lever or fitted to the steering column optional.
Back axle ratios available : 4.55 : 1, 4.44 :1, 4.33 : 1, 4.11 : 1, 3.78 : 1 and 3.54 : 1.
Overdrive of 28.5 % in back axle.
Suspension : Transverse leaf springs (front and rear) with "Silentbloc" bushes. Anti-roll bar and double acting hydraulic shockabsorbers in front. Hydraulic stabiliser with double acting shockabsorbers at rear.
Brakes : Girling Hydro-Mech.
Steering : Left or right hand optional. Two-spoke 17" (455 mm) diam. steeringwheel.
Wheels : 5 Easy-clean steel discs. Second spare wheel complete with tire at extra cost.
Tires : 6.00 x 16, 6-ply.
Petrol Tank : At rear, 20 Imp. gallons (90 L) capacity. Two spare tanks, contents 7 Imp. gallons (30 L) each, mounted in centre, alongside chassismembers, at extra cost.
Electrical equipment : 6 Volt air ventilated dynamo. Constant voltage control. 100 Amp. hrs. battery. Two powerful broad-beam headlamps and one long-beam centre lamp. Rheostatic controlled instrument lights.
Dimensions : Wheelbase : 108¼ ins (2.75 m).  
Track, front : 56 ins (1.42 m).  
Track, rear : 58 ins (1.47 m).  
Overall length : 171 ins (4.35 m).  
Overall width : 66 ins (1.70 m).  
Overall height : 53 ins (1.35 m). "Sports Roadster"
: 57 ins (1.45 m). "Aero Coupé"
Ground clearance : 8 ins (0.20 m).  
Turning circle : 36 ft (5.47 m).  
Weight : 21.5 cwt (1100 kg). "Sports Roadster"
: 23.5 cwt (1200 kg). "Aero Coupé"
Specifications and prices may have to be modified without notice.
        December 1947

Type: Gatso 4000 Aero Coupé, Year: 1948, Built: 1 piece

Gatso 4000 Aero CoupéBuilt on the Matford "13" chassis, lowered by five inches. 2+2 seater 
A tuned 4 litre Mercury V8 engine providing the power. The general styling echoed the original Gatford, but additionally the Aero Coupé featured a sliding clear-plastic canopy reminiscent of a fighter aeroplane and in fact manufactured for Gatsonides by the Fokker aircraft company. 
Performance : over 100 mph (160km/h), Economy : better than 20 mpg.

Introduced at the Geneva "Salon de l'Auto" in march 1948 and also showed at Holland's own first postwar RAI Motor Show in Amsterdam. From the United States came orders for no less than 200 cars. But this was impossible for Gatsonides, who hadn't really even the financial means with which to continue his business at its modest level.

Type: Gatso 4000 Roadster, Year: 1948, Built: 2 pieces

Gatso 4000 RoadsterOpen two-seater, using the similar chassis and mechanical components as the Aero Coupé (Matford "13" chassis, Mercury V8). 
A detachable cloth top with side screens was provided for weather protection. 

1 sold (detail : righthand-side steeringwheel) to Félix Endrich of Switzerland, Olympic champion two-men bobsleigh, 1948 Sankt Moritz. With this car Endrich became Switzerland's mountain-climb champion. Later in 1948 he was killed in a bob-sleigh accident. 
What happened to the car ? 

1 sold to Dutchman Aad Tops who emigrated to South-Africa. Tops drove this car to victory in the Lorenzo Marquez Rally. 
Last known owner (1990) : a doctor in Graaf-Reinet, South-Africa......

Type: Gatso 4000 Coupé, Year: 1948, Built: 2 pieces

Gatso 4000 CoupéFixed-head coupé, using the similar chassis and mechanical components as the Aero Coupé (Matford "13" chassis, Mercury V8). Almost identical to the previous Roadsters. Fixed steel hardtops however rather than the removable cloth tops of the earlier twoseaters resulted in these being closed Coupés.
Of these one was for Dr. Roberts, a doctor in Sneek (Friesland), whilst the other car belonged to a Mrs. Jochems, a well-known personality in The Hague's high society. 
Dr Roberts sold his car ......

Type: Gatso 4000 2+2 Coupé, Year: 1949 ?, Built: 1 piece ?

A low-built 2+2 fixed-head coupé, using the similar chassis and mechanical components as the Aero Coupé (Matford "13" chassis, Mercury V8). 
This car was nicknamed "Molehill" due to the curvature of the protruding top, was intended to win the tough 1950 Liège-Rome-Liège rally. Co-driver : Ginet Trasenster (Belgium).

Type: Platje, Year: 1949, Built: 1 piece

PlatjeFiat 1500 chassis (shortened), Fiat 1.5 litre six-cylinder in-line OHV engine, Dubonnet independent front suspension, finned alloy brake drums. 
This car didn't require the bonnet bulge of the Ford based Gatso's, and so the central lamp was omited. 

The car was nicknamed "Platje" = "Flatty". 
Leading at the National Sportscar Races held at Zandvoort in 1950, a rear wheelrim centre gave away, putting the car and its driver/constructor out of the race. Flatty was equipped with ultra-lightweight wheels specially made in France, which aided the performance of the car whilst also providing better brake cooling. Unfortunately, the one on the left rear failed to stand up to the high cornering forces generated on the Zandvoort circuit.

Type: Gatso 4000 Luxe, Year: 1950, Built: 1 piece

Gatso 4000 LuxeThe last and most luxurious Gatso. Built for a Dr. Polano, a well known personality in the The Hague society scene, and was specially designed according to the doctor's wishes.

On a modified and longer Ford Mercury chassis and running gear, and with a normal Mercury V8 engine this car was however of more conventional height, being built as a luxury six-seat convertible with a fully-retractable electrically operated soft top. 
The bodywork in this case was being manufactured by the coachbuilders Boonakker.

When bankruptcy was declared, Dr Polano reached an independent agreement, so enabling the car's completion.